Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Its been a year


A year has gone by since my last post, so I'm pretty hopeful that no one reads this anymore. It's somehow ironic to reflect on the hopes I had for a move to New York, and the mundane banking reality that I have landed myself in. New York, the city, is the same as it ever has been or was, a place full of vibrancy, living large, all things to all people. As a visitor, what you see is the endless optimism that defines America, writ large.

And then when you live the grind, day to day, you see that New York up close is also a microcosm of America, dysfunctional, imbalanced, cold, uncaring, calculating - zombies working toward a dream without really seeming to pause to think what the dream actually is. A place where taking more than a week's vacation is looked down upon...

So what does this all mean? Maybe I am staying, maybe I am moving - at the end of the day, a couple of things may tip this one way or the other.

3 comments:

Chip said...

Ah the joys of RSS. I get notified when this blog is updated.

Sounds like you need to move. At least for a little while until you get a different perspective on things. And figure out what you want.

Don't think I like the work culture in NYC very much.

Dez said...

Damn! well.. maybe i need a new job...

Beckster said...

Dez what you're describing in this post isn't New York up close, it's the life of a jaded investment banker up close.

Sounds like somebody should seriously consider a career change?