Saturday, September 10, 2005

The terrible state of Australian sport


I was awake until about 4am last night watching the Australian cricket team recover from their position 2-1 down in the 2005 Ashes series. Their fightback is looking encouraging, but in general, Australian sport is nowhere near as dominant as it was only a short time ago...

Last year, whilst I was in NYC, the olympics was on and it was with great pride that you were an Australian, with our country's athletes taking on the rest of the world and doing disproportionately well. Now it seems that the list of sports that we're not doing anywhere near as well in is growing:

1. Cricket (5-0 whitewash of the Ashes? nope...)
2. Tennis (Lleyton Hewitt is busy with Bec Cartwright.. lucky him... the poo is.. otherwise occupied)
3. Rugby Union (Lose all the tri-nations matches? doh..)
4. Soccer (yeah... whatever)
etc....

It used to be that however your week had been, you could enter the weekend knowing that you could sit down and watch some sport and watch Australia dominate at SOMETHING. Now I guess we just have to cheer on the Australian netball team.

No comments: